We know, there are more and more platforms to watch series and movies, so it is very likely that you have a lot of questions about which subscription to buy.
If paying for all the platforms is not among your possibilities, you will be interested to know what are the pros and cons of each streaming content company.
In this specific article we help you choose between Netflix or Disney Plus: which of the two is better?
You can also read our comparison between Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in case you have doubts between these two platforms.
1. Price: Is Disney Plus or Netflix cheaper?
- Disney Plus is cheaper than Netflix (with a “but” to keep in mind)
The price will undoubtedly be the decisive factor for many and many users. We all have an interest in paying the lowest possible price. However, you will have to take into account what each price includes. Sometimes paying a little more offers more services, which is why what is expensive can end up being “cheaper”.
If we compare the price of Disney Plus and Netflix, the answer is initially simple: Disney Plus offers a cheaper service, although the difference is not huge.
On the one hand, Netflix offers four different plans depending on the use you are going to give to your account:
- Plan with ads (available in Spain and Mexico): You will pay 5.49 euros per month, but you will have to see ads.
- Basic plan: It will cost you 7.99 euros per month, but you will only be able to watch and download content on a single screen at the same time. You will be able to see content in standard definition, that is, SD.
- Standard plan: It will cost you 11.99 euros per month and you will be able to watch content on two screens simultaneously, the definition will be HD.
- Premium plan: It will cost you 15.99 euros per month. You’ll be able to watch content in Ultra High Definition (UHD) and you’ll be able to view it on four screens at once.
On the other hand, Disney Plus offers only one package, but two different forms of payment. It will cost you less if you pay all at once for a whole year instead of month to month. A Disney Plus subscription includes 4K content and the ability to stream videos on four different devices at the same time. The price is the following:
- Monthly subscription: €8.99 per month
- Annual subscription: €89.90 per year (you end up paying €5.83 per month if you divide by 12)
Considering the above, the cheapest way is an annual subscription to Disney Plus, since you will pay 5.83 for four screens at the same time. This means that you can share the account with three other people and thus be able to divide the expenses between four (you would end up paying €1.50 per month if you choose this option).
Also keep in mind that Disney Plus offers a seven-day free trial, that is, you can take advantage of this option, while Netflix has removed its free trial version.
Another point to keep in mind is that Netflix offers a cheaper subscription, yes, but… with ads. This subscription will cost €5.49 per month, that is, a few cents cheaper than the Disney Plus subscription, however, it must be taken into account that the fact that Disney Plus costs €5.83 (if you pay annually ), without ads, keeps it the cheapest platform.
2. Disney Plus and Netflix catalog
Another of the essential points to take into account when opting for one platform or another will undoubtedly be its catalog of series and movies. Disney Plus may be cheaper, but if you are not interested in the content it offers, its price will hardly matter to you.
If we look at the quantity first (you don’t want to exhaust the available content right away), you should know that in both cases you would have to spend years of your life watching movies and series non-stop to exhaust the entire library. So the amount of content should not worry you in any case.
Now, beyond the amount of content, what is important is the type of content itself. You will surely have intuited that the content of Disney Plus is somewhat more childish (even so, adults and adults will surely enjoy the available movies and series like dwarves).
However, in addition to the Disney classics, Disney Plus also features many Marvel and Pixar movies, as well as incredible documentaries from National Geographic. You may also be interested in knowing what our favorite movies on the platform are.
At the same time, Disney includes more adult content in its catalog thanks to the addition of Star, that is, the international equivalent of Hulu.
On the other hand, on Netflix we find more variety. It is a platform designed for both adults and children. You can find movies of all kinds, of all genres, as well as some of the most popular series of the moment.
To give you a better idea of what type of content you can watch on Netflix, you may be interested in knowing which are the best series available on Netflix or the best movies.
On Netflix you can also access a personalized platform for boys and girls (Netflix Kids) with series and movies that the little ones will undoubtedly enjoy. Of course, we know that Disney and Pixar take the medal in terms of this type of content.
3. Devices compatible with Disney Plus and Netflix
It is also important that you take into account on which devices you will want to enjoy the streaming service since, obviously, if it is not compatible with your device, you will surely not be interested.
Netflix is compatible with the following devices:
- Reproductores multimedia: Apple TV, Google Chromecast
- Smart TV: Hisense, LG, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba
- Consolas: PS3, PS4, Wii, Xbox 360, Xbox One
- Decoders: Movistar+, Vodafone
- Blu-ray players: LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba
- Smartphones y tablets: Android, iOS, ipadOS, Windows Phone
- Computers: you can watch Netflix on any web browser
Disney Plus is available for the following devices:
- TV: Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, AppleTV, Chromecast, LG, Roku, Samsung
- Computers: Chrome OS, MacOS, Windows PC
- Mobile and tablet: Amazon Fire, Android, iOS, ipadOS
- Videoconsolas: PS4, Xbox One
As you can see, the selection of compatible devices in both cases is so varied that we don’t think it will pose any kind of problem, much less influence your purchase decision. However, it is still important to keep the compatibility of both platforms in mind.
If we had to choose between one of the two platforms, we would stay with Netflix. The content is limited exclusively to Disney, Pixar or Marvel productions, but it offers all kinds of genres from different producers (in addition to content produced by Netflix).
Some of the most popular series of the moment are available on Netflix. We refer to great titles such as For 13 reasons, Stranger Things, Money Heist or Black Mirror. Obviously, Disney has all-time classics that we’d like to watch over and over again, but we still went with the Netflix variety.
On the other hand, if you have to share the account with minors (or if you are crazy about Disney, Marvel or Star Wars), you may be interested in opting for the Disney Plus platform.
The best of all options? If you can afford it: pay for both platforms (although obviously the purpose of this article was to help you choose between the two).